Wednesday, May 21, 2014
It’s that time of year again…it’s time for the 2014 Illinois Farm Bureau (IFB) Young Leaders Discussion Meet contests.
The Young Leader Discussion Meet contest is an exchange of ideas and information about a particular topic in which contestants must analyze problems and determine logical solutions, all while having a lot of fun! The contest involves:
IFB “MM”, “MS”, or “A” members in good standing, or their spouse, may participate. Participants must be between the ages of 18-35. New this year, associate members (who are not employees of Illinois Farm Bureau and their affiliates) are allowed to participate. Discussion Meet entry forms are due by July 23, 2014.
The following are the 2014 Discussion Meet topics:
1. How would the condition of government-managed public lands change if they were managed privately? What are the pros and cons of government ownership of land versus private ownership?
2. Should farmers and ranchers be held liable for possible food-borne illnesses when the food item of concern can be traced back to their farms or ranches? Why or why not?
3. The farm bill crop insurance provisions offer a safety net for crop loss due to natural disaster and/or price risk. Should a safety net for livestock producers be developed and what provisions might it include?
4. How can young farmers and ranchers work to encourage membership growth and member engagement for the county, state and national Farm Bureau organizations?
5. How should our nation’s policies balance concerns about food insecurity against concerns about the safety or environmental impact of modern agricultural technologies? What role should farmers have in discussing and debating these issues in our society and with our lawmakers?
Here are the locations and dates of this year's contests:
Contest Starting Time
1 & 2
Thurs., July 31
Winnebago-Boone FB, Rockford
Thurs., Aug. 14
Wyffels Hybrids Research Center, Geneseo
Mon., Aug. 25
Mendota Civic Center, Mendota
5 & 6
Mon., Aug. 18
Pioneer Seed Facility, Mazon
7 & 8
Tues., Aug. 5
1st Farm Credit, Morton
Tues., Aug. 19
Adams County Fb, Quincy
Sangamon County FB, Springfield
11 & 12
Tues., Aug. 26
Piatt County Fb, Monticello
13 & 17
Edwards County FB, Albion
Mon., Aug. 4
Montgomery County FB, Hillsboro
15 & 16
St. Clair County FB, Belleville
Jackson County FB, Murphysboro
The Young Leader Discussion Meets are great networking and learning opportunities. Register Today!
For More Info Contact:
Click here to like their Facebook page for updates and photos.
Click here to learn more about Young Leaders and their events.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Illinois Agricultural Association Website by liQuidprint
· Remind me later
· Don't show this again