Spring poses a high risk of injury for farmers as fatigue, stress and pressure build. Not only are hours long and the workload heavy, but farmers also deal with equipment breakdowns and weather-related issues.
Staying safe during planting is challenging. Illinois Farm Bureau offers these tips to help farmers stay alert during planting season:
- Eat balanced meals.
- Set realistic work priorities.
- Consider hiring help for the busy weeks of planting. Don’t try to do it all yourself.
- Stay well hydrated to maintain awareness.
- Be as rested as you can be. If necessary, shut down for a few minutes to take a nap. Even a 20-minute break with a short nap can really help improve alertness.
- Take a short walk. Sitting for long periods of time is hard on your back and neck, which can make you tired.
- Always have your cellphone handy.
- Remember to share the roads with vehicles and other farm equipment.
Related: Economist says there’s no need to panic over planting delays. Read more here.