Livestock Farms are Economic Engines for Illinois
CURRENT ILLINOIS LIVESTOCK FARMS
• Illinois ranks 4th in the U.S. in pork production, producing 1.9 billion pounds of pork each year.
• In Illinois, about 23% of farms raise beef cows - 12,646 farms with a total of nearly 344,000 cattle.
• There are approximately 650 dairy farms in Illinois with 94,000 dairy cows producing nearly 2 billion pounds of milk each year.
Did you know?
- Livestock production, along with meat and dairy processing, contributes $14.1 billion in economic activity in Illinois and is responsible for 52,124 jobs throughout rural and urban areas of the state.
- Livestock farmers invest in Illinois’ rural communities. An estimated $68 million was planned to be invested in construction costs for new or expanding livestock farms in 2017 alone.
- Livestock creates annual demand for Illinois’ top two commodities – corn and soybeans – consuming an estimated 112 million bushels and 36.8 million bushels, respectively.
- Several Illinois-based companies have grown and added jobs due to livestock.
Automated Production, Taylorville, IL, Marcoot Jersey Creamery, Greenville, IL, and Farmweld, Teutopolis, IL, are great examples.