Mental Health & Wellness
As farmers, we are great at taking care of our land and livestock, but not always great at taking care of ourselves. It’s time to put yourself first. A healthy farm is nothing without a healthy YOU.
We know times are tough right now. If you are or someone you know is struggling with daily stress, anxiety, depression, addiction or other mental health challenges, you are not alone. Reach out and ask for help. Your mental health and wellness are important to us. We are Stronger Together.
- Your Primary Care Provider
- Mental Health Professional
- Walk-in Clinic
- Urgent Care Center
- Emergency Room
Find a Mental Health Provider
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- Crisis Text Line: Text TALK to 741-741
- Text with a trained counselor from the Crisis Text Line for free, 24/7
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) National Helpline: 1-800-662-HELP (4357)
- Farm Aid Farmer Hotline: 1-800-FARM-AID (1-800-327-6243)
- Avera Farm and Rural Stress Hotline: 1-800-691-4336
- Illinois Warm Line: 1-866-359-7953 (call) or 1-866-880-4459 (text)
- The Warm Line is a new opportunity in Illinois for persons with mental health challenges and their families to receive support by phone. Peer and Family Support Specialists are professionals who have experienced mental health recovery in their own lives as an individual or family member. They have been trained in recovery support, mentoring, and advocacy and are ready to listen and help you. The warm line is not a crisis hotline, but is a source of support as you recover or help a family member to recover. Call or text Monday-Friday 8am-5pm.
- Iowa Concern Hotline: 800-447-1985
- A program of Iowa State University Extension for confidential assistance and referral for stress, legal questions and financial concerns. The program began in 1985 as a toll-free number serving the agricultural community. By calling Iowa Concern one has access to an attorney for legal education, stress counselors, and Information and Referral services for a wide variety of topics.
- TransFARMation: https://www.rrfn.com/transfarmation/
- American Farm Bureau Federation – Rural Resilience: https://www.fb.org/programs/rural-resilience/
- American Farm Bureau Federation – Farm Town Strong: https://farmtownstrong.org/
- Michigan State University Extension – Managing Farm Stress: https://www.canr.msu.edu/managing_farm_stress/
- North Dakota State University Extension – Farm and Ranch Stress: https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/farmranchstress
- University of Minnesota Extension – Coping with Rural Stress: https://extension.umn.edu/rural-stress
- National Farmers Union – Farm Crisis Center: https://farmcrisis.nfu.org/
- Rural Health Information (RHI) Hub – Rural Response to Farmer Mental Health and Suicide Prevention: https://www.ruralhealthinfo.org/topics/farmer-mental-health
Call 911 for Emergencies
Our resources are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you are in a crisis, please visit your local emergency department or call 911 immediately.