IFB actions on trade and tariffs
March 1-August 6, 2018
(staff and IFB farmer leaders)
1. White House Staff (March and July)
2. USDA Secretary Perdue, Undersecretary McKinney, Administrator Isley (March, June, July)
3. USTR Chief Ag Negotiator, Ambassador Gregg Doud (June and July)
4. IL Congressional Delegation (Bost, Davis, Kinzinger, LaHood, Durbin, Duckworth)
5. AFBF – President Guebert is on AFBF Executive Committee with President Duvall (who talks to Undersecretary Perdue regularly about farmers' concerns and issues).
6. Action Request (April 5 to 11, contacting President Trump and Senators Duckworth and Durbin resulted in 1,412 advocates and 5,083 emails.)
7. Letters calling for an end to the trade war and asking President Trump to “strike a deal” sent April 5 and April 9 to entire Illinois delegation and President Trump.
1. Responded to more than 60 media calls on trade and tariffs, resulting in:
a) more than 250 media mentions
b) a reach of more than 1.5 million people
c) unique views of more than 260 million
2. Leadership op-eds pitched, resulting in July 13 Crain’s Chicago Business placement
2. Social media:
- Since January, the words trade and/or tariffs have been mentioned on IFB Facebook & Twitter pages 204 times.
- The April “trade” action request resulted in Facebook posts that reached a total of 74,362 people, generated 17,088 videos views, were shared 374 times and clicked 431 times to reach the legislative action center webpage.
3. RFD Radio Network® coverage:
a) 15 stories on “RFD Illinois” aired on 78 stations around Illinois
b) 26 guests on “RFD Today” (27 stations across Illinois) and “RFD Town & Country Partners” (19 AM and FM stations across Illinois)
c) Interviews on trade and export markets with: Ken Isley, USDA/FAS; Joe Glauber, IFPRI; Jim Wiesmeyer, ProFarmer; Greg Hanes, U.S. Meat Export Federation.
4. 50 stories or guest commentaries on FarmWeekNow.com and in FarmWeek®
Outreach, education and information
2. Four staff presentations on the importance of trade to county Farm Bureaus, citizen groups, ag associations, financial/banking representatives and other organizations.
3. Refined IFB trade spokespersons list for use:
a) responding to local, state, regional and national media and speaking opportunities
b) writing “My Farm’s Trade Story” quotes
c) recording summer videos on their farm
5. Continuing to distribute My Farm Exports and We Support Trade signs.
6. Keynote speakers at IFB Bridge Event (Joe Glauber) and Farm Income & Innovations Conference (Jim Wiesemeyer and Ken Isley) and workshop speakers Greg Hanes (meat export markets) and Ken Dallmier (non-GMO and organic export markets).
Cooperation and coalitions
1. Member of three export/trade associations: USGC, USMEF, and USAPEEC.
3. Member of Governor’s Trade Advisory Committee (participated in two trade roundtables).