Secretary of State’s Offices
Illinois Secretary of State Jesse driver services facilities reopened on January 5th 2021.
- Driver’s license expirations are extended until June 1, 2021, including those with February – May 2021 expiration dates.
- The driver’s license extension does not extend to CDLs.
- License plate renewals are also not extended.
Many transactions, including renewals, with the Secretary of State’s office may be conducted online at www.cyberdriveillinois.com.
Current Regulatory Flexibilities – Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)
- The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has extended the Modified Expanded Emergency Declaration No. 2020-002. This extension continues the exemption granted for hours of service rules, extending it through February, 2021. This extension addresses national emergency conditions that create a need for immediate transportation of essential supplies. The extension provides regulatory relief for commercial motor vehicle operations providing direct assistance in support of emergency relief efforts related to COVID-19 and is limited to transportation of:
- livestock and livestock feed,
- medical supplies and equipment related to the testing, diagnosis, and treatment of COVID-19,
- Vaccines, constituent products, and medical supplies and equipment related to preventing COVID-19
- supplies and equipment necessary for community safety, sanitation, and prevention of community transmission of COVID-19 such as masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, soap and disinfectants, and
- food, paper products and other groceries for emergency restocking of distribution centers or stores.
Direct assistance does not include routine commercial deliveries, including mixed loads with a nominal quantity of qualifying emergency relief added to obtain the benefits of this emergency declaration. This extended exemption allows drivers and motor carriers that are hauling livestock feed and livestock, providing direct assistance in support of emergency relief efforts, exempt from hours of service regulations outside of the normal 150 air-mile radius. Please see the FMCSA website for further details related to this exemption and fatigued driving.