Secretary of State’s Offices
Illinois Secretary of State Jesse driver services facilities reopened on January 5th 2021.
- Driver’s license expirations are extended until June 1, 2021, including those with February – May 2021 expiration dates.
- The driver’s license extension does not extend to CDLs.
- License plate renewals are also not extended.
Many transactions, including renewals, with the Secretary of State’s office may be conducted online at www.cyberdriveillinois.com.
DOT Extends Modified National Emergency Declaration for Commercial Vehicles
The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has extended their modified expanded national emergency declaration to provide hours-of-service regulatory relief to commercial vehicle drivers transporting emergency relief in response to the nationwide coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. The notice extends the exemption through May 31, 2021. The Emergency Declaration has been in effect since March 18, 2020 and grants relief to motor carriers and drivers providing direct assistance in support of relief efforts related to the COVID-19 public health emergency from Parts 390 through 399 of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, such as hours-of-service rules.
The extension of Emergency Declaration No. 2020-002 provides regulatory relief for commercial motor vehicle operations providing direct assistance in support of emergency relief efforts related to COVID-19 and is limited to transportation of the following freights:
- livestock and livestock feed;
- medical supplies and equipment related to the testing, diagnosis and treatment of COVID-19;
- vaccines, constituent products, and medical supplies and equipment including ancillary supplies/kits for the administration of vaccines, related to the prevention of COVID-19;
- supplies and equipment necessary for community safety, sanitation, and prevention of community transmission of COVID-19 such as masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, soap and disinfectants; and
- food, paper products and other groceries for emergency restocking of distribution centers or stores.
Direct assistance does not include routine commercial deliveries, including mixed loads with a nominal quantity of qualifying emergency relief added to obtain the benefits of this emergency declaration. This extended exemption allows drivers and motor carriers that are hauling livestock feed and livestock, providing direct assistance in support of emergency relief efforts, exempt from hours of service regulations outside of the normal 150 air-mile radius. Please see the FMCSA website for further details related to this exemption and fatigued driving.