Illinois Agriculture in the Classroom (IAITC) and the IAA Foundation announced the 2021-2022 teacher grant and teacher project winners.
“Each year our teacher grant program is very competitive, and our judging panel is amazed at the unique programs teachers use to infuse agriculture into their curriculum,” said Kevin Daugherty, director of the Illinois Center for Agricultural Engagement and IAITC. “Our book grant winners are ready to jump into units of study highlighting agriculture. We see 2021-2022 as a prime opportunity for teachers to infuse their curriculum with agriculture.”
“These grants are a meaningful way for the IAA Foundation to partner with likeminded organizations to fulfill our mission to support the future of agriculture through education,” said Susan Moore, IAA Foundation director.
Grant recipients and their schools are:
- Bond County: Tonya Kampwerth, Pocahontas Center and Sondra Maxwell, Sorento School.
- Bureau County: Linda Strawbridge, Douglas Elementary.
- Calhoun County: Rachel Wilschetz-Hartman, St. Mary School.
- Cass-Morgan: Stacy McQueen, Virginia Elementary; Bethany Miller Eisenhower Elementary School; and Tammie Powell, Murrayville Woodson Elementary.
- Clinton County: Sara Kuper, Trinity Lutheran School, Allison Netemeyer, Breese Elementary School; Michelle Toennies, All Saints Academy; and Candace Detmer, Damiansville School District 62.
- Cook County: Hollie O’Hara, St. Alphonsus/St. Patrick; Zoe McManmon, Proviso West High School; Brenda Martinez, Tonti Elementary; Gail Bingenheimer, St. Patricia Elementary School; Theresa Quitshaw, McAuliffe Elementary; and Karen Adent; Unity West.
- Crawford County: Julie Reese, Oblong Elementary School, and Rylee Watson, Hustonville Grade School.
- Cumberland County: Donna McClellan, Cumberland Elementary.
- DeWitt County: Rebecca Bishop, Clinton Elementary School.
- Edwards County: Valerie Murbarger, Christy Winemiller, Sarah Mewes and Emma Garcia, all of Albion Grade School; Michelle Wiseman, Edwards County High School.
- Effingham County: Sally Zimmerman, Altamont Grade School, and Mary Zumwalt, Altamont Lutheran School.
- Franklin County: Betty Riley, West Frankfort Intermediate School.
- Greene County: Amy Steward, Carrollton Grade School.
- Grundy County: Michelle Phillips, South Wilmington Grade School.
- Hamilton County: Erica Harris, East Side Elementary.
- Jackson County: Shelby Ahlfield, General John A. Logan Attendance Center.
- Jefferson County: Marci Sherwin, Bluford unit School District 318, and Michelle Taylor, Rome Grade School.
- Jo Daviess County: Peggy Trone, River Ridge High School.
- Kane County: Carol Norman, St. Catherine of Siena.
- Livingston County: Marie Becker, St. Mary’s Catholic School.
- Macoupin County: John Davin, Staunton High School.
- Madison County: Mary Bell, Alhambra Primary.
- Marion County: Kellie Linder and Emily Pryor, both of St. Mary School; Charlene Stewart, Central City District; Kalie Smith, Selmaville School; and Kaitlyn Wilkins, Selmaville Grade School.
- McDonough County: Michele Thompson, St. Paul School.
- McLean County: Robert Harrison, Oakdale Elementary; Stacia Rockhold, Suzie Schertz and Kathy Rasch, all of Prairieland Elementary; Gillian Schenk, Normal Community West High School; Stacie Lange, Towanda Elementary School; Kristen Hammer, Fox Creek Elementary; Morgan Glasson, Parkside Junior High; Susan Steinbach, Sugar Creek Elementary School; Kacy Kilian, Eugene Field School; Amanda Stanko, Corpus Christi Catholic School; and Tina Thomas, Stevenson Elementary.
- Perry County: Catherine Dorsey, Community Consolidated School.
- Pulaski-Alexander: Jennifer Bushue, Meridian Elementary.
- Sangamon County: Gina Francis, Cantrall Intermediate School.
- St. Clair County: Jennifer Rayson, Vivian Adams Early Childhood School; and Zachary Halterman, Smithton Consolidated School.
- Stephenson County: Lisa Corp, Open Bible.
- Tazewell County: Nicole Lettow, Spring Lake Elementary School, and Brock Horowitz, Pekin Community High School.
- Vermilion County: Joan Dale, Schlarman Academy, and Callan Masterson, Rossville Alvin Grade School.
Teacher grant recipients for school projects include:
- Bethany Miller, Eisenhower Elementary School, Cass-Morgan
- Karen Adent, Unity West Junior High, Cook County
- Lindsey Wright and Niki Greathouse, both of West Salem Grade School, Edwards County
- Mary Zumwalt, Altamont Lutheran School, and Sally Zimmerman, Altamont Grade School, both Effingham County
- Cheryl James, Newton Elementary School, Jasper County
- Michelle Taylor, Rome Grade School, Jefferson County
- Jessica Bernabei, Central Intermediate, LaSalle County
- Marie Becker, St. Mary’s Catholic School, Livingston County
- Maggie McCalla, Staunton High School, Macoupin County
- Deborah Dechant, Northwood Middle School, McHenry County
- Alison Flessner, Tri-Valley Elementary School, McLean County
- Marcia Horstmeyer, St. Joseph School, Richland County
- Erin Parks, Carrier Mills-Stonefort CUSD, Saline County
- Gina Francis, Cantrall Intermediate School, Sangamon County
- Jennifer Winkeler, St. John the Baptist Catholic School, St. Clair County
- Jennifer Morris, Bruning Elementary School, Will County
Organizations that partner with IAITC include Illinois Farm Bureau, Facilitating Coordination in Agricultural Education, University of Illinois Extension, Illinois Beef Association, Illinois Corn Growers, Illinois Pork Producers, Illinois Soybean Association, Midwest Dairy Association, Illinois Department of Agriculture and the Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts.
This story was provided by FarmWeekNow.com.